Manual transmission vehicles are the most common vehicles in use at present. In manual transmission, you need to operate the gears and clutch manually. It is the more fuel efficient than the automatic transmission. In the automatic transmission the system itself consumes much energy to change the gears, but in manual transmission it is in the hands of driver. Manual transmission is even less expensive than the automatic transmission. The transmission system is one of the most expensive parts in the car. To minimize repair costs for manual transmission you need to follow maintenance tips. This article discusses important tips, which are as follows:
- Clutch problems and maintenance: It transmits engine torque to input shaft of transmission. If you feel the clutch operation changes like shuddering or less resistance contact for an inspection immediately. The problems with clutch are:
- When the clutch disc is coupled with flywheel and pressure plate, it breaks and makes the power flow to the transmission from the engine. The clutch disc lining wears over time because of pressure applied and released continuously during normal driving.
- Incorrect clutch components, normal wear, improper adjusted linkage, binding, worn, damaged pressure plates will lead to clutch slippage.
- If the clutch is not releasing at all or releasing partially, clutch dragging will occurred. It is just opposite to clutch slippage. Improper clutch linkage adjustment or binding, worn, binding of clutch disc on the input shaft, damaged pressure plates fingers, air in the hydraulic clutch linkage are the general causes for clutch drag.
- Take care of flywheel: It facilitates the mounting location for clutch assembly. It transfers engine torque to the clutch disc when clutch applied. The flywheels’ weight helps enables smooth engine operation. The excessive slippage between clutch disc and flywheel builds up heat. To know the car’s clutch problem, a professional technician have to road test the car to confirm the symptoms. This is the best step when you feel such symptoms for proper diagnosis.
- Check owner’s manual for transmission service: The car owner’s manual will clearly have when the transmission service or inspection have to done. Check with it and follow as per the schedules mention.
- Change filters and fluids regularly: When the filters become dirty, replace them. If you do not check them, they obstruct free flow of oil. When you are checking them at a particular intervals, it will help change them before completely blocked. The fluids are also very important for the transmission system. Proper fluid maintenance will help last longer for transmission components. Heavy loads can cause transmission fluids degrade quickly, keep an eye when your are with heavy load. If you see any change in your vehicle shifts gears including shudders, sounds, jerking gear, check transmission fluid, if it is low fill it and then give it for a professional servicing.
These tips will help you minimize transmission costs in your car. You need to use proper grade transmission fluid and while changing the gears, care about the clutch and gears will help to avoid the costly repairs to the manual transmission.