Industrial fans and blowers are both mechanical devices which are used for circulating air in industries. Fan is a single unit whereas a blower is combination of devices which consists of a fan too. The main difference between them is the difference in air circulation. Apart from their differences, fans and blowers in industries are usually used as synonyms to each other.
Depending on air flow
- A fan circulates air inside the entire room or place, but a blower only focuses on a particular area.
- Blower consists of a fan, channels to direct air to a specific location.
- A fan is a device which is used to create flow within a fluid. On the other hand blower is a device which produces large change in volumes of fluids with a small variation in pressure.
- Both are used in ventilation, electrical application like air conditioning, microwaves, furnaces etc.
Depending on the design
- Fan consists of vanes or blades that rotate and influence air. The rotating assembly of blades and hub is called an impeller or a rotor or a runner.
- Blower consists of small blades on circumference of wheel, and a casing arrangement to direct the flow of air. In blower, casing uses centrifugal force to propel air into open area.
- Depending on design of blades and its effect on the air, efficiency and airflow they can be differentiated from one other.
- In case of size blowers are usually large when compared to fans.
- In terms of energy consumption, fans consume less energy and are more efficient than blowers.
- In terms of airflow blowers discharge more airflow than a fan.
- The suction ratio of blower is more than the fan.
- In case of types of fans there are axial and centrifugal fans which are again sub divided, whereas blowers are just of two types they are centrifugal blowers and positive displacement blowers.
- Fan uses less pressure to create large amounts of fluid.
- Blower uses high pressure to produce large amounts of fluid.
- As the pressure is lesser in fans the pressure ratio will be lesser for them. The value of pressure ratio is 1.1.
- The pressure ratio for blowers is 1.1 to 1.2.
- As fans circulate air in the entire area of a room the air area will be higher.
- Blowers just simply focus air to a particular area, so the area covered will be less.
Parts consisted of
- Fan consists of motor and blades which are run by electricity.
- Blower consists of a fan, outer cover, inlet, outlet and channels. The motor in fan is run by electricity.
Blower is significantly used in high pressure applications and fans are used in low pressure industrial applications.