Air purifiers or air cleaners can improve the quality of air in your home or office by removing the dust, pollutants, mold and other irritants. Air cleaners range from portable to whole-house range. Many technological changes are occurring in the air purifier market. Every air purifier technology has its own strengths and weaknesses.
Hepa air purifiers: Hepa air filters are the most efficient type of air filter available. They are 99.97% effective at removing particles as small as 0.3 microns. It helps in
- removal of dust, pollens, mold spores, dust mites and other allergens
- removal of many bacteria
- solid particles are captured and not released in to the air again
Air ionizers: It creates negative ions, which change the polarity of airborne particles, causing them to magnetically get attracted to each other. As a result, they become too large to remain in air, and fall out of the air that you breathe in. They perform
- removal of particles from the air including ultra-fine particles as small as 0.01 microns
- neutralization of bacteria, viruses, cigarette smoke and chemical fumes.
- Can circulate throughout the room to remove airborne particles
Germicidal UV lamp: Ultraviolet (UV) lamps effectively destroy micro-organisms that pass by the bulb, including germs, viruses, bacteria, and fungi (such as mold). UV light radiation is recommended by the Centers of Disease Control to prevent illness and disease. They have the following functions:
- Ability to destroy the micro-organisms, such as bacteria, virus, germs and fungi.
- Helps to prevent illness and diseases
Activated Carbon Air Filter Strength: It consists of vast system of pores of molecule size. These process are highly adsorbent, forming strong chemical bond to odorous, gaseous, and liquid contaminants. The important features of this air purifier are:
- The most absorbent filter available, making it highly effective it capturing chemical fumes, gases, cigarette smoke and odors.
- Does not release captured contaminants back to the air
Ozone generator: Ozone is a highly reactive oxidant that destroys certain bacteria and chemicals, including odor-causing bacteria and chemical agents. Ozone is highly effective against strong odors, but is not always needed or wanted under normal circumstances
- High effective against odors, including cigarette smoke odors
- Helps to destroy certain chemical and bacteria
The above are the various types of air purifiers which work using different technologies.