MDMA produces some positive effects within an hour or so after taking a single dose and these effects include, feelings of mental stimulation, emotional warmth, empathy towards others, a general sense of well being, and decreased anxiety. Hence, the person taking the drug may be more prone to prolonged effect and the use of this drug for extended periods causes following harmful effects on the health:
- Use of the Ecstasy can produce adverse effects on the health which includes nausea, chills, sweating, involuntary teeth clenching, muscle cramping, and blurred vision.
- Overdose of this drug can also cause high blood pressure, faintness, panic attacks, and in severe cases, a loss of consciousness, and seizures.
- Addiction to this drug can also cause increase in the body temperature because of its stimulant properties and the environment in which it is often taken. Hyperthermia can lead to muscle breakdown, which can in turn result in kidney failure.
- MDMA can also reduce the pumping efficiency of the heart and it can also cause dehydration, hypertension, and heart failure in the individuals addicted to this drug.
- Physical effects of the Ecstasy includes increased blood pressure and heart rate, increase in body temperature, blurred vision, involuntary eye movements etc.
- In the hours after taking the drug, MDMA produces significant reductions in mental abilities.
- MDMA also effects the health of the individual adversely if the drug is taken in combination with the other drugs like cocaine or marijuana.
- Use of this drug also causes slight memory difficulties and mild depression. Some individuals may also have problems like weakened immunity and larger memory deficits.
MDMA is an illegal drug which when abused has slow yet very deteriorating effects on the body. Hence, it should not be abused.