Home invasion and burglary in some states are considered the same and in some states they are different, but both the activities are illegal and there is a notable difference between them. Read the article to know the difference between home invasion and burglary and some know tips to get protect yourself from them.
Burglary is a crime or illegal activity done by entering into the home without the permission of the owner for the purpose of theft. It is also defined as breaking and entering the house at the night time with the intent on committing crime. For example, a person who enters in to a pharmacy for stealing prescription can be convicted as burglar.
Here breaking can be done by forcing to open a door by fraud or threat. Breaking may not be any thing in terms of physical damage. Whereas, entering involves physical entry of a person to theft of property. There is a common law for burglary and in order to satisfy the law burglary should involve both breaking and entering.
In some states, home invasion is an un-authorized or, forceful entry in to a house with an intent to commit a crime against the occupants such as murder, kidnap, robbery, etc. It is different from burglary. Home invasion is governed by the state laws and it varies from state to state.
Punishments for both of them vary from state to state. The punishment for burglary is more than one year in prison along with fine, whereas home invasion has more punishment and for armed home invasion some states impose terms of life.
Tips to protect yourself and your family from burglary and home invasion
- It is better to take precautions before the crime takes place. Analyze what may happen at first, be cautious of the changes and be prepared for the situation.
- Know your neighborhood and build relationship with them. Take their help when necessary.
- Check how much security is necessary for your home.
- Shield your home with strong home interior, exterior, windows, doors, etc.
- If possible use all your skills against the criminal. Also use weapons near by you to counterattack in serious situations.
- Let your neighbor know when you are out of the home and ask them to watch the surroundings if possible.
This is the difference between home invasion and burglary and the precautions that you need to take when you face them.