It is essential to inspect the interior and underneath of the car you are going to purchase. Most people inspect the inside and all other parts except underneath. Under car (underneath of the car) inspection is also important. There are a few parts to inspect underneath. We will discuss them briefly in this article.
- Oil leaks: Check the underneath if there are any oil leaks. The parts underneath include shock absorbers, power steering, brakes, axles, transmission and engine. If you neglect to check it will become a big issue latter.
- Exhaust system: Check for there are any excessive noise or fumes. These are indicators the rust or holes in the mufflers or pipes.
- Tires: The tires include the spares as well. Check the tires condition and wear. If you find any uneven wear, it may indicate suspension or misaligned steering or worn.
Inside of the car
Car inside inspection is one of the most important one. Check for access issues while getting into the car and before checking the inside. If you need to carry elderly passengers or children regularly, the access must be suitable for them.
- Lights: Check all the lights operation both outside and inside of the car. If the vehicle is fitted with Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) air bags and anti lock braking system (ABS), check for the dashboard warning light(s). When the ignition is turned on those lights will illuminates for a short time.
- Accessories and Equipment: Check the accessories and equipments inside of the car are whether working or not. Some of the common accessories and equipments are sound system, electric windows, ventilation fan, air conditioning, etc. When these are not properly operating, they can be expensive to replace or repair.
- Jack and tool kit: Check for the jack and tool kit – if they are in appropriate place, and whether they are in a serviceable condition.
Seat belts: Seat belts are the primary safety tools in the cars. Check for condition of child restraint anchorage points, adjusters, buckles, and belts. Check the belts for any damaged or being frayed.
Car seats: Check for the seat convenient. Sit in the driver seat and adjust the seat to a comfortable position to drive. Then, sit in the behind seat or back seat to the driver’s seat. Check for the sufficient space for the needs of back seat passenger.
You should check your view on the safety front. It is not overly obstructed by wide pillars or head restraints.
Ask for the safety features in the car. These include airbags, secure fixing points for a child seat, three point center seat belt in the back, anti lock braking system, etc. Also, ask the seller whether these are all in proper place and in a good condition.